My Bloody Valentine - Hammersmith Apollo 12th March 2013

Last Tuesday, the 11th March, I made my way up to London to watch the mighty return of Dream Pop superstars My Bloody Valentine. 
The handful of dates follow the release of their first studio album in 22 years.

Hammersmith Apollo - Photo Courtesy of James Thourpe

Support came from french act Le Volume Courbe, playing a diverse  45 minute set of material. Some songs reminded me of the folk-pop we have seen scattered in the charts throughout the year, and others were sweet, layered noise-fests reminiscent of My Bloody Valentines earlier works. Frontwoman Charlotte Marionneau has a stunning voice that lies on top of the music beautifully..and I am a total sucker for french pop.

A Sea of Shoegazers

My Bloody Valentine were mind bendingly, awe inspiringly, unforgettably brilliant. Everything I had hoped they would be. After I saw them headline Bestival 2008 (also mind-blowing)I was desperate to see them play inside, where the sound wouldn't be sucked up by the wind. 
They played a mixture of old classics and new material from their new release 'M B V', which stood tall next to respected oldies such as 'Feed Me With Your Kiss'. 

My Blurry Valentine
'You Made Me Realise', and its famous 'holocaust' section, were a highlight for me. I don't think I moved a muscle the entire song, ...just AWESOME! 




I left gutted I hadn't brought a ticket for the following night...but more excited for Primavera than I already was!


(A mini playlist of my top tracks)

xx

This entry was posted on Tuesday 26 March 2013. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply